Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Song Quotes

So we all know that Keith Emerson from ELP used classical songs all the time, and that "Octavarium" by Dream Theater quotes Jingle Bells, but I just discovered that "Only Ash Remains," an intensely difficult song by a German technical death metal outfit called Necrophagist, contains a part from the Romeo and Juliet Suite by Prokofiev. How do I know? I played it in the Christmas concert with the Orchestra I'm in!!! I was disappointed to learn that someone had already spotted it and put it on Wikipedia. I wonder how many metalheads would've gotten that reference! Also, around 6:30 of "What if God Is Alone" by the Flower Kings, I can hear, very faintly, the "Close to the Edge" theme by Yes being played by the guitar. Now that's aweome! That's a tasteful and tributary (like paying tribute, not like a river) quotation, not like Coldplay ripping off a Joe Sartiani lick and getting a Grammy for it. When I write music, I sometimes throw in an allusion to a band or song - for example, if the lyrics are talking about a raven, I'll play something in the style of Nevermore or actually use one of their lines. Not many people will get it. Jazz artists do this while improvising to get the audience's attention, or if they're out of ideas.

I invite you to read all of my posts from the past!!

1 comment:

pjvandehaar said...

there is nothing bad about coldplay's music.