Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Everything is meaningless

What's the point of music? What's the point of all these millions of people learning, working, and obsessing about things that don't even matter that much? When I write music, just like most professionals, I deliberate, consider and hone every line, harmony, chord, melody, rhythm, tone, and structure. But why? Music isn't art in our culture anymore; it's entertainment. People don't care about the thousands of no-name artists who try to make something they feel strong about, just the formulaic garbage force-fed to them like sheep by the media. It doesn't matter how hard you work on something; people will just throw it away and conform. Why should I learn to perfect my craft? People don't care. It's not going to make a difference in the world. If it's entertainment, it's a temporal waste of time. But I want to make my career out of this! It's the only thing I can be good at! But it doesn't matter, because people don't want to listen to your artistic expression. It's a distraction from real life, what really matters. It's just a temporary cure for escapism, not worth more than a few minutes a day and especially unworthy of critical perception. What if I want to make the music how I want it, and who cares about any standards you might have? Well then I will have fun being a poor loner who nobody likes. Who wants to dedicate their lives to being able to form a distraction? Sure, music gives people emotions, but so does everything else. It's not worth it all just to give people emotions. As far as giving God the glory: there are too many other songs out there. I'm too naive to write some compelling piece searching the depths of God's heart; I'm just not good enough and too immature. But why do I have this desire? There must be some way that I can honor God and somehow give my life a little meaning. Right now it seems like I'm a big bag of juices walking on this big ol' world, just a huge waste of good food. If music really is meaningless, I'm screwed, because I have so little proficiency at anything else, and nothing else makes me happy. Not just a temporal giddyness, but happiness that's strong and true, throbbing and enduring in my heart. Maybe I'm describing the joy that comes through doing the Lord's will for me. Thing is, that is so hard to tell! Like really, who cares about the band I'll form? Who will listen? Will anybody like it who doesn't know me? How will I support myself, let alone a family? Is this what my life is for? Am I capable of actually doing a good thing? God I need your help!!!!

No comments: