Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mysterious Edguy song review

My friend Livingston burned me a copy of Anchor Drops by Umphree's McGee, and he included an Edguy song without the name. Here's my review:

Guitars have bad tone, low in the mix, doing that same old tired 3+3+3+3+4 rhythm. Bass is inaudible.
The drums sound huge, but with low volume. Like the 80's or something. The singer sounds like a cross from the guy from Sonata Arctica and Geddy Lee of Rush. Eew. His background vocals on the chorus were very often out-of-tune.
There are various vocal breaks right before the chorus, whereupon he leans really close to the mic suddenly, or something. Nice guitar solo, almost as good as Angra. I don't like the drummer. The lyrics, while being about "flying away together" or something (I tried half-heartedly to Google them to determine the song title) are generally of higher quality than the standard power metal fare. I like their other songs better.

Will's Favorite Power Metal Bands, in order
1. Angra (but how to pronounce it?)
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Theocracy (Christian, one guy actually; you should listen to their Christmas stuff)
4. Rhapsody of Fire (formerly Rhapsody, and before that Thundercross. What a sweet name!)
5. Dark Moor
6. Twilightning (Gotta love this name)
7. Helloween (Old school)
8. Edguy
9. DragonForce (or StudioForce, or the one that I made up, DragginFarce) Click here to see what I think of them.
I would like the genre as a whole better if everything didn't sound the same.
ATTENTION: This is an edit of this post executed on April 29th. My favorite Power Metal band is actually Kamelot, but I didn't include it on the list nor even think about it because I have it files in my brain under progressive power metal, although a few bands listed above could also be described as such.
Wow, lots of links in this one. Click on them all!

No comments: